Zambia : Lusaka OVC Program
Objectives of Lusaka OVC (Orphaned and Vulnerable Children) Program
- Strengthen resilience of households made vulnerable by HIV/AIDS
- Improve the quality of life of OVC (orphaned and vulnerable children) and their households.
- Improve the quality of basic education for more school-aged children
- Train teachers in life-skills curricula, to include prevention messages, and assist teachers in integrating this curricula into existing lesson plans
- Advocacy messages will focus on OVC gender equality, child rights and child protection
- Develop interventions targeting youth livelihood opportunities and life skills, including prevention
Lusaka also participates in the RAPIDS program (Reaching HIV/AIDS Affected People with Integrated Development and Support) that can be most beneficial for the growth and development of children that are affected or infected by HIV/AIDS. At Lusaka, RAPIDS takes the form of a Kids Club Program with a two-fold approach. Kids Club was designed to not only provide a fun environment for children to escape and be a “kid” and to learn about the LOVE of Jesus Christ, but also to provide counseling and supply for their basic needs. When a child is living with a parent or guardian that is infected with HIV/AIDS basic needs such as clothing, food, shelter, school uniforms and school supplies are not often met.